Royal and celebrity wedding dress designers to my mind earn every penny. There is just no room for error. Reputations are on the line. A social gaff cannot be afforded. Take for example Anna Valentine and Antonia Robinson of Robinson Valentine who were responsible for creating the future Queen of England’s look, together with Milliner Philip Treacy. Camilla Parker-Bowles wore an oyster silk basket weave coat and matching knee-length chiffon dress for the civil ceremony. For the blessing she wore a floor-sweeping porcelain blue gown, which was hand embroidered with five tones of gold thread. The ensemble was completed with a golden feather headdress tipped with Swarovski diamonds.
So who are the royal and celebrity wedding dress designers?
I have randomly selected a few names, some of whom you may recognize. These are the royal and celebrity wedding dress designers they chose for their special wedding day.
– Mary Donaldson wore an ivory satin dress with a 6m duchess satin train by Milan-based Dane Uffe Frank, her shoes Joseph A of London, when marrying Prince Frederik
– Letizia Ortiz married Crown Prince Felipe a week after Princess Mary, in a Haute Couture dress and 4.5m (15 foot) train, designed by the 82 years old veteran Manuel Pertegaz
– Bec Cartwright selected her dress from Alex Perry’s Aegean Princess collection when marrying Lleyton Hewitt. It was made from Swiss silk georgette, the low neckline and shoe string straps beaded with Austrian-cut crystal.
– Sarah Ferguson, when marrying Prince Andrew, chose Lindka Cierah, who designed for her an ivory duchesse satin dress, with elaborate embroidery and bugle beads adorning the bodice, with a 17 foot train
– Melania Knauss wore a John Galliano for Christian Dior gown with a 4m train when marrying Donald Trump. In the evening she changed into a Vera Wang tulle gown and crown of white flowers.
– the Late Lady Diana wore an ivory silk dress with a 25’ train by the Emanuell’s
– Renee Zellweger, when marrying Kenny Chesney, wore a Carolina Herrera gown. Carolina Herrera is usually associated with creating the gowns for the Acadamy Awards, not as a royal and celebrity wedding dress designer.
– Kate Beckinsale wore a strapless Vera Wang and Jimmey Choo shoes
– former Playboy Mate and Miss USA Shanna Moakler wore Monique Lhuillier when marrying Travis Barker (of Blink 182), as did Christine Baumgartner when marrying Kevin Costner, Britney Spears when marrying Kevin Federline, and Heidi Klum when marrying Seal
– third time round Jennifer Lopez wore a ruffled Vera Wang gown
– Kate Garven of Home and Away wore an ornate satin and organza Jean Fox gown
– Jessica Rowe wore Collette Dinnigan
– Baywatch babe Gena Lee Nolin had two gowns a Monique Lhuillier and Vera Wang
– Jackie O (Arena TV and radio host) wore Alex Perry
– Silvia Colloca (Van Helsing) wore hand-beaded Renato Balestra
– Lara Feltham (Pat Rafter’s bride) wore Collette Dinnigan
– Natalie Imbruglia wore Monique Lhuillier
– Madonna wore a gothic Stella McCertney creation when marrying Guy Ritchie
– Amanda Thomas (My Restaurant Rules, Room 19) wore Jean Fox
– Tori Spelling wore Badgley Mischka
– Trista Rehn (The Bachelorette) wore two Badgley Mischka gowns
– Jennifer Aniston favoured Milan based designer Stelle, formerly of Prada. She also wore 4″ Manolo Blahnik heels
– Claudia Shiffer having modelled many Valentino wedding dresses, chose the Italian designer and wore a “Snow White” creation for real at her marriage to Matthew Vaughn. Her “point D’esprit” veil was 5m long. Valentino also designed wedding dresses for Jackie Kennedy and Elizabeth Taylor
– Cindy Crawford married Rande Gerber in a shere short white gown by Galliano. Both bride and groom were bear footed.
The big question everyone now is asking is who the royal and celebrity wedding dress designer(s) is going to be for Penny Lancaster when she marries Rod Stewart. Bruce Oldfield’s name has been mentioned. Watch this space!
Exactly how much are these gowns by royal and celebrity wedding dress designers?
The price varies. Camilla Parker Bowles hat for her civil ceremony a guestimate would be more than $2,400 AUS, $2000 US. Her dress for the blessing is guestimated at more than $4800 AUS, $4000 US. This is pennies compared with the gown of Melania Knauss who had over 1500 crystals stitched onto her gown at a cost of $250,000. Claudia Shiffer’s gown would have had a price tay of approximately $A263,000 (100,000 pounds).
How do you choose royal and celebrity wedding dress designers?
Most royals choose a designer from their country, or the country into which they are marrying. Not only is it a duty, but also it is an excellent opportunity for them to promote and give exposure to their country’s leading dress designers.
Celebrities, on the other hand, have a greater freedom of choice, and may patronize whomever they choose. Take, for instance, Pamela Anderson’s 1995 wedding to Tommy Lee held on a beach in Mexico. She decided to wear a white bikini whilst lying on their sun beds during the nuptials. Who knows who the royal and / or celebrity wedding dress designer was for that little creation!