Since being discovered by Christopher Columbus and enjoying a rich history as nations have fought over their possession, the US Virgin Islands have become one of the most popular wedding photos and honeymoon destinations in the world. White sandy beaches, fertile volcanic land, tropical forests, dramatic waterfalls and grassy knolls looking out over spectacular panoramic views. The temperatures remain a steady 75 – 85 degrees all year round, but watch out for the stormy hurricane season. Having said that welcome to paradise.
St John is the smallest of the three US Virgin Islands located to the east of St Thomas. It has a landmass of 50 sq kilometers, of which two thirds is covered by national park. The Annaberg Sugar Plantation has been preserved. It’s capital, Cruz Bay is located on the west coast of the island. The main townships are Coral Bay and Calabash. Noted for their crystalline waters are Maho Bay, Francis Bay and Leinster Bay on the north shore.
Getting Married on St John
The same applies to St John as St Thomas in terms of getting married:
– $100 marriage application and license fee
– upon receipt of your application or notorised application there is an 8 day waiting and processing period. You do not have to be on the island during this time.
– proof of divorce must be provided
– court marriages in front of a judge weekdays $200
– religious ceremonies arrange directly with the church concerned
– Tourist Information for St John: 776-6450
– if not dealing with a wedding planner you can pick up your marriage license yourself on regular business days from St Thomas, tel: (340) 774-6680, or
– write a letter detailing your arrival and departure times on the island, addressed to the:“Administrator”St Thomas and St JohnTerritorial Court of the Virgin IslandsPO Box 70, St Thomas, USVI 00804
St Croix is the largest of the three principal US Virgin Islands, being 28 miles long and 7 miles wide. Located 40 miles south of St Thomas, its capital is Christiansted on the north shore. Its other townships are Annaly, Frederiksted (west coast), Kingshill, Sunny Isle. To the NE is Buck Island, an 880 acre nature reserve famous for its under water trail. The island is also famous for its festivals, the climax of which is the month long Crucian Christmas Festival.
Getting married on St Croix:
The same applies to St Croix, as to St John and St Thomas in terms of getting married:
– if picking up your marriage license you will need to contact tel: (340)778-9750
– or write a letter addressed to:AdministratorSt CroixTerritorial Court of the Virgin IslandsFamily DivisionPO Box 929Christiansted, St Croix, USVI 00821
Web Sites I Have Looked At:
For wedding planners, lists of local churches, local accommodation, local photographers, florists, etc, and much, much more…………
– search on google and hundreds will pop up!