Another dream destination wedding location, part of the United States Virgin Island Group, along with St John and St Croix islands, in the West Indies. Again, DIY wedding planning goes out the window, as the idea is to be pampered in paradise.
This is also the home of a cruise wedding, or being married on board a private yacht.
Some Basic Facts:
– St Thomas is an island (32 sq miles), east of Puerto Rico and north of the Leeward Islands, (approximately Long’ 65 degrees West and Lat’18 degrees North) in the Atlantic Ocean.
– language spoken – English or Creole
– its capital is Charlotte Amalie
– main towns are Nadir, Tutu, Frenchtown, Matolle, Mandahl, Fortuna and Red Hook
– St Thomas is surrounded by smaller islands namely Savana Island (to the west of St Thomas), Salt Clay (north west), Inner Brass, outer Brass, Big Hans Lollick, Little Hans Lollick, Thatch Clay and Longango Clay (to the north), Great St James (south east), Lapella Islands, Hassle Island and Water Island (south)
– beware of the hurricane season!
St Thomas Wedding Details:
– as it comes under the auspices of the United States of America any wedding there would be recognized and legal in the US
– there is a fee of $100 US ($50 for the marriage application fee and $50 for the marriage license)
– there is an eight day waiting and processing period
– the application is valid for one year
– for court marriages in front of a judge, they are held weekdays and cost $200
– religious ceremonies costs differ, enquire directly with your denomination of church
– if you do not use a wedding planner you will have to pick up your marriage license yourself from:St Thomas and St JohnTerritorial Court of the Virgin IslandsPO Box 70, St Thomas USVI 00804
Tel: (340) 774-6680. They are open on regular business days.
St Thomas Churches:
For a detailed and complete list you will need access to the yellow pages. However, here are a few.
– All Saints Anglican Cathedral 774-0217
– Christchurch, Methodist 774-0797
– Frederick Lutheran 776-1315
– Hebrew Congregation 774-4312
– Memorial Moravian 776- 0066
– Reformed Church 776-8255
– St Andrews Episcopal 774-1223
– Saints Peter & Paul Catholic Church 774-6450
St Thomas Wedding Planners:
Needless to say when I looked on the web there were dozens to choose from. Just remember to do your research thoroughly. Do not part with any money, not even a deposit, until you have completed your checks.
A useful contact may be the St Thomas Tourist Information on 774 8784.
Websites that I had a look at included:
– www.sunsationweddings.com, advertising wedding planner and wedding packages
– www.weddingstheislandway.com/, advertising wedding planner and cruise ship weddings and packages
– www.viweddings.com/, features Cheryl Toner, formerly the manager of wedding services for Ritz Carlton, who now provides an independent wedding service
– www.theweddingexperience.com/deststthomas., advertising wedding planners and packages
– www.vinow.com/general-usvi/wedding/, a general information site
Wishing you and your partner a peaceful, paradise St Thomas Wedding.